Sunday, February 14, 2010

This must be what strippers feel like under neon lights.

Today is the day of love.  A day to proclaim from the highest mountain your undying love for whoever your love interest is this year.  Today for me is the same as every other day, I wake up, practice my cello, practice my guitar, stumble through physics, and debate the true idea of love.
Last night I was watching King Kong, the Peter Jackson one, and I was at the scene where Naomi Watts is on top of the empire state building.  Some of my friends make the statement, Look at her she is so beautiful right there, perfect lighting, perfect dress, hair, makeup.  I started thinking to myself, does love really feel like that?  Is that really what love is?  I think it brings up a valid idea, are we imitating art with our lives?
Do we spend all of our hopes and dreams searching after a love that we want to recreate within our lives?  I'm starting to think we do.  Girls spending every moment trying to look like people they see on tv all day.  Guys trying to act like the cool character they see on some screen.  I'm starting to think we spend more time trying to be people we aren't.  Your love story isn't something that is already written.  It's something you write yourself, not something you steal from someone else.
I know my idea isn't true for everyone but I just don't see love around me like I use to.  I see a girl caught up on a good looking guy.  She says she wants a funny smart guy, but instead of finding that guy she thinks any moronic thing that comes out of that good looking guy's face is funny.  A guy spends all day chasing after a girl who doesn't want his funny, witty, caring soul.  Neither party is to blame it's just what we do.  We chase after the dream that we see everyday in the media and art.  It's not even our dream anymore.
I'd like to think that I've been searching after the love that I see from books and movies.  I want to think that there is love out there and we know nothing of it, because we are chasing after our ideas of what it should be.
I'm starting to think that our current collective idea of love is how strippers feel when they are under neon lights.  Sexy, powerful, naked, and wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment